Elias land is ancient. The first settlements appeared here in the Neolithic era. This is evidenced by the unique exhibits of the Ilyinsky local history museum.
Rich funds and interesting expositions will not leave anyone indifferent.
Under the canopy of perennial trees near the museum there is a kind of collection of old tombstones, rescued and brought here.
From the museum, however, there is an amazing view of one more Ilyin landmark - the Big Pond the size of a lake, manually dug by the peasant serfs many years ago. And the very name of the district center - Ilinskoe-Khovanskoe - has historical roots. The Ilyinskoe estate was granted in 1619 to Prince Dmitry Pozharsky for his merits in the fight against foreign invaders. And he had already given it as a dowry to his sister, in marriage to Khovansky.
It is impossible to ignore the old fake park during the reign of Catherine the Second, which is located on the outskirts of the village of Nazherova.
Strict straight avenues, the rays diverging in different directions, cause a lot of guesswork and assumptions about the layout of the park.
The healing water of the Tikhonov well in the vicinity of the village of Kovarchino will attract the attention of travelers. The well and the nearby swimming pool are located right in the forest, but the path there never grows. A chapel is being built near the well.
But there is a special place in the district that attracts thousands of pilgrims every year. This is the place where the Life-giving Cross of the Lord descends near the village of Antushkovo, where the monastery is currently located.
About twenty kilometers of a high mound, winding in swamps and swamps, are separated Antushkovo from the district center. Last year, at the expense of the road fund, the road was repaired through a lowland that connected Antushkovo and the monastery. The same embankment leads to the monastery and the Yaroslavl region. So now you can get to the holy place on any car.
This place is one of the most revered Orthodox Christians.
Indeed, in the history of Christianity, the appearance of the descent of the cross of the Lord took place three times: near Rome, in Jerusalem and here, in our place, in the center of Russia.
And the shepherds heard a voice that commanded them to place a temple at this place - “the house of God.”
Legends say that after a miraculous appearance, a large hill appeared among the large Sahotskogo marsh, on which a church was built in honor of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. On the most honorable place in it was installed the life-giving cross of the Lord. After some time, the wooden church burned down, but the cross did not even damage the fire.
Then a stone church was erected at this place, and in 1824 it was decided to build a monastery around the church, so that divine services could be held at the shrine every day.
From century to century, after the descent of the cross of the Lord, there is the glory of the life-giving, that is, physically healing from physical and mental ailments.
The construction of the monastery was never completed.
The time has come for an ordeal. In 1927, the temple was completely looted.
They tried to destroy the life-giving cross. But neither saw nor ax took it. One of the local atheists managed to break away only Christ's little finger. A few days later, as legend has it, this atheist died from gangrene, which began ... with his little finger.
The locals saved the cross, under the cover of night it was transferred through a swamp to the temple of the village of Godenova.
But all the participants in the rescue were subsequently repressed. The walls and vaults of the temple were dismantled into bricks, only the fraternal corps and a part of the bell tower, which for many years stood silently reproaching on the top of a hill towering among the marshes, survived.
In the mid-1990s, the works of Hegumen Boris Khramtsov at the site of the appearance of the life-giving cross formed a monastery. According to the drawings and photographs, the summer temple of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and the winter church of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos were practically rebuilt according to the remains of the ancient masonry, and the bell tower was restored. At the same place a copy of the cross is installed, and he himself is in Godenov. As before, services in the holy place are held daily. In especially honored patronal festivals, up to a thousand pilgrims gather at the monastery.
To worship the holy place and ask for help, Orthodox Christians travel from afar.
Here you can meet not only Russians, but also Ukrainians, Belarusians, pilgrims from Canada, the USA, Australia. Miraculous healings continue to this day. It is said that the prayers of relatives and friends in the holy place helped to get out of the coma and literally in a month to stand up to the man who was seriously injured in the accident.
The prayers of a girl confined to a wheelchair for many years were heard. Three years later, she gratefully came to the monastery on her feet. After a sincere prayer at the cross, women enjoyed the joy of motherhood, who could not become pregnant for many years. And how many spouses who were on the verge of divorce, again became friendly and loving after visiting the holy place!
There are even cases when it was possible to heal cancer ...
The place of appearance of the life-giving cross of the Lord is unique not only for Russia, but also for the whole world. But, perhaps, you should not come here just for a tour to admire the greatness of snow-white temples, the enchanting beauty of festive services ...
It is necessary to go here with a special attitude, faith and an open soul.